Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gluten Free Breakfast-for-Dinner: Egg Sandwich

When I was little, I learned from my mom that an egg sandwich has magical healing powers.  A bad day, a loss, or a cranky mood could be cured with a nice conversation over a simple egg sandwich.  I think an egg sandwich is the definition of comfort food.


Thanks to Udi's delicious gluten free bread, the magical powers of the egg sandwich can live on! 

To make the eggs for this particular sandwich, I used a fantastic technique I learned from A Cup of Jo.  Cook your eggs this way - trust me, you won't be sorry.  The cheese to egg ratio is fabulous.

After the eggs cooked, I set them aside to cool a bit.  Then, I lightly buttered two pieces of Udi's gluten free bread, threw them into the same pan in which I cooked the eggs, let them brown, and then assembled all of the eggy-goodness.  I added a gluten free sausage patty to this particular egg sandwich, but that is optional.

Lecker. (That's German for delicious.)



2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize how much the egg and cheese was a NYC-metro institution until I started my new job, as my boss has a ritual every Friday to come in unshaven and get his egg and cheese, and my coworkers will also talk about this. In the many years I worked in Norwalk and Westport that was never the case...which is odd given that they are all of fifteen miles away from Stamford and very much on the same line to Grand Central every day.

    How do you like the GF bread? How does it compare to the breads you used to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Udi's bread for things like toast and grilled cheese/egg sandwiches. It really tastes very similar to normal bread (although it has been so long since I have had gluten bread that I sort of forget what it tastes like!)

    ReplyDelete