Friday, April 27, 2012

Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers and Pan-Fried Polenta

The first time I had polenta was at my aunt and uncle's bed and breakfast in Italy, long before I went gluten free.  Thank goodness my aunt introduced me to this perfect, gluten-free staple!  She also taught me a little secret - make it, cool it, slice it, and then lightly pan-fry it in olive oil for what tastes like a polenta french fry.  Yum!

This time, I had some leftover polenta from our bean pies, so I didn't have to prepare it. I just sliced the remainder and tossed it into a pan with a little olive oil.  I also had a pack of chicken in the freezer and some bell peppers.  Thanks to a google search, I found a great new recipe from Cooking Light. I stayed pretty close to the recipe, although I could not completely crush the fennel seeds, due to a lack of a mortar and pestle.   How the child of a pharmacist ended up without a mortar and pestle is beyond me, and I have to say that attempting to use the bottom of a plastic prep bowl on a cutting board to do the task was quite unsuccessful.  I used vegetable broth, but only because I did not have any chicken broth.  Honestly, this meal was delicious and got rave reviews from the Gluten Free Frau's Mann.


Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers

  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided 
  • 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper 
  • 1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper 
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

  • 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
  • 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Brush chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle spice rub over chicken. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute. Arrange chicken in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until done.
  • 3. Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken.




1 comment:

  1. How does a daughter of a pharmacist who actively srceeks out mortar and pestles for said mom not-sd have one in her possession? Those things are so helpful for grinding peppercorns and such. But a dedicated coffee grinder-as-spice-grinder eliminates much need for one anyway.

    That said, polenta is absolutely amazing in its comfort-food-properties. It's just as filling and can be augmented with your favorite cheese--what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete