Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew

I cut this recipe out of one of my Real Simple magazines a long time ago, and then stumbled upon this adapted version.  Since the GFF's hubby has recently taken a liking to cauliflower, I decided to give it a try.  During our weekly trip to Wegmans, he and I debated about whether or not we had cumin.  He swore we did, I chose to believe him, and it turns out...we did not. We were also bizarrely out of fresh garlic (this never happens in our household), so I had to get very creative with my gluten free bad self.  Please do not judge the use of garlic powder in this recipe.  It actually tasted really great, surprisingly enough! Do not tell my grandma either.  


The original recipe said to add 1/2 cup water, but I had 1 cup of stock to use up so I added that instead. I added more liquid so that the veggies were all submerged - I think this would depend on the size pot you use.  I agree with my choice and will not ever use water after tasting how flavorful the stew was.


GFF's hubby gobbled up 3 bowls of this delicious veggie creation.  I highly suggest you try it!  It will become a repeat offender in the little twin house.




Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew 
adapted from above links to be GF friendly 

Olive oil for the pot (I never measure, I just swirl it around)
2 small onions chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder (or the fresh stuff if you have it or if your Italian grandma is watching you)
1 tsp. chili powder
Kosher salt and black pepper
28 oz. canned whole tomatoes
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets
1 cup GF chicken broth or veggie broth
1 package of fresh baby spinach
1 cup short grain brown rice

1. Put the rice on to cook.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you add them, and their liquid, chickpeas, cauliflower, and broth and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Fold in the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve the stew over the rice and enjoy!  Pack yourself the leftovers for lunch the next day. Yum!




2 comments:

  1. Which Wegmans do you go to? Malvern? KoP? How do they compare to the D-town store? Also: I've been totally guilty of having a faulty photographic memory of the pantry/spice rack and forgetting something, which here is surprisingly annoying to replace. We got too used to having markets within easy walking distance and now it's easier to get a pair of Loubs than it is a fresh onion.

    (Did I mention that I live in a strange part of town?)

    I need to get over my cauliflower aversion, because this looks quite tasty--even if made with garlic powder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer both KoP and Malvern to the Downingtown location. They are much more open and I like the layouts of both stores better. KoP opened last weekend and we made the mistake of going on opening day - crazy! Although, they did pass out coupons for a free bag of their new store brand GF pasta, so it was totally worth fighting the crowds of people who appeared to have never seen the glory of Wegmans before.

    You must get over your cauliflower aversion! It is such a versatile vegetable!

    ReplyDelete