Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gluten Free Dessert: Marble Loaf Cake

Remember me?  I have never been a good journal writer or diary keeper, so I guess it isn't a surprise that I am not the greatest blogger.  It has been a year since my last post!  A friend asked me for a recipe on Facebook, so I decided that it was a good reason to try to start blogging again.  We shall see if it sticks!

My mom used to make this cake when I was little.  The recipe is adapted from an older edition of the Betty Crocker red binder cookbook.  I have a newer version of it, and the recipes are not the same, nor are the names of the recipes as good.  Happy baking!



Loaf O' Gold (See? Such a fantastic name for a cake!)

2 cups all-purpose flour (or 2 cups gluten free flour mix like Cup 4 Cup)
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour loaf pan.  Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl.  Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.  Beat 3 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Pour into pan.

Bake 65 Minutes*

Marble Variation

Pour 1/2 of the batter into a small bowl; stir in 1 ounce melted unsweetened chocolate (cool).  Pour remaining batter into pan; spoon batter over top and swirl.

*if you are using a gluten free flour blend, start checking it at 45 minutes.  Mine was finished around 53 minutes - gluten free flour blends can be tricky and cakes can easily turn into sandcastle texture.)




No comments:

Post a Comment